Monday, September 17, 2007

Explaining My Fondness for Nicknames

When I was in High School, my teammates on the Edsel Ford basketball team nicknamed me "Ben" - and I'll never know why.
Then at Spring Arbor, Jerry started calling me "A.C." - a nickname I loved - it stood for Anthony Carter, a standout wide receiver from U of M -- because I could catch the ball on our Gamma 1 Intramural football team.
Later, I simply became "Crydo" - I guess yelling "Cryderman" sounded too much like they were shouting "Cry German!"
Then, as a youth pastor, my teens began calling me "PMC" - for Pastor Mark Cryderman...
I loved each of these monikers. There's something about a nickname that suggests love, or specialness, or a closeness of relationship -- I like that.
In John 10, the Bible says that Jesus knows us each by name. I like that too.
I wonder if Jesus ever uses nicknames - perhaps he has one for you? What would it be?
I guess this would all explain why I like the worship song where we sing "I am a friend of God, I am a friend of God, I am a friend of God - He calls me 'Fred'!" Fred?
Just a thought.

8 comments:

Crydo said...

This was supposed to be funny.

kool kenna said...

lol

Em said...

it was funny...


: )

Angela said...

P.S. Gamma is a girls floor. you lived on a girls floor! GROSS!!

Crydo said...

Nope. It was, and then we converted it. Gamma One was MEN, real men. Almost all of us had mustaches to prove it. And we wore ties almost every day.
Gamma Two were WOMEN. Real women. And they put plants in their bathrooms urinals to prove it.

Diane said...

I forgot about the plants in the urinals!!

Jon said...

I thought you were known as "the canary" ?????

kool kenna said...

what about catipiller?