Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Running on Leadership

So, I'm running this afternoon, approaching mile 960-something, and of course, it's snowing again. Blizzard. Squall. My eyes nearly freeze shut - except, well, they were open. But my eyelashes were thick with ice! How fun!


But as I ran, I thought this thought: Why do grown men play football? More to the point: why do they get so EXCITED about making a tackle or catching a pass - what, with all the chest thumping and strutting and even an occasional point towards heaven?

Don't get me wrong - I love football - am nearly addicted to watching (and still, within me there's that hope that some coach somewhere will need me as a wide receiver and call me onto the field!) But WHY do grown men get SO into it?

And, because I had plenty of miles to run and time to think, and because I was engaged in my own battle against the snow and ice and wind - I've figured it out.

Exodus 15:3 makes it clear: "The Lord is a warrior; the Lord is his name." We sometimes forget that not only is God loving and gentle, but he is a warrior. And may I remind you that we are made in God's image? Grown men on the football field - image bearers of God - naturally become warriors. The drive to do battle - for good (my team) to conquer evil (your team) is strong and real inside each of us. God put it there.

The danger is not that we'd play football (or any other sport, video game or even dance contest for that matter) - but the danger is that we'd allow that to be our ONLY outlet of the warrior within.

Good must conquer. Light ALWAYS prevails. Get in the game! And Christmas is the perfect time to do it. Find a need and fill it. Then give a mighty chest bump to whomever is closest to you!

6 comments:

Heidi Lee said...

Excellent words Mark.

How do you stay warm? Your my running hero.

Crydo said...

I run faster than cold.
wv: spolys
What happens when milk stays on the counter too long..."My milk is spolys"

Kulio said...

My eyelids stick to my eyes if I do that, so I don't.

Crydo, can you check out Diane Bauman's blog? She is getting quite a lot of work lately for web-design. She does graphic arts stuff for her church too. She just did her first "five-til" video, and that's on there, but I want you to check out her designs under the "church" labels on the right hand side. Keep in mind that she is not just cutting and pasting, but she's mostly writing code. Here it is:
http://yaya-colour.blogspot.com/

Kulio said...

Also, here's her church website that she created and maintains for them:

http://www.fumcunioncounty.org/

Rachel said...

I admire you for the outdoor running! I have headed inside to the treadmill for the winter!! Press on!

Unknown said...

This was good to read. Joann is a little sore from the chest bump, but she'll be OK.

I'm impressed by your focus and drive.

peace